Posted on: 1 August 2023Share
Fear of the dentist is a common occurrence for many people. Whether it’s due to a past negative experience, the sound of the drill, or the fear of pain, dental anxiety is a real thing. However, avoiding the dentist can lead to serious dental issues. That's where sedation dentistry comes in. This blog post will discuss everything you need to know about sedation dentistry so you can have a worry-free dental experience to maintain good oral health.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry involves the use of medication to help patients feel more relaxed and comfortable during dental procedures. The medication administered can range from mild to heavy. The three main types of sedation dentistry include:
- Minimal sedation (laughing gas), which is inhaled.
- Moderate sedation (oral sedation), taken as a pill.
- Deep sedation (IV sedation), which is administered intravenously.
Who Can Benefit from Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is useful for people who:
- Are afraid of the dentist
- Have a low pain threshold
- Have sensitive teeth
- Have a strong gag reflex
- Need a lot of dental work done in one sitting
- Have a medical condition that makes dental procedures difficult
What Are the Benefits of Sedation Dentistry?
The most evident benefit of sedation dentistry is that patients remain relaxed throughout the procedure. This gives dentists more time and flexibility to complete necessary dental procedures. The use of sedation dentistry also means that patients can complete multiple treatments within a single session — leading to less anxiety and fewer appointments. Additionally, sedation dentistry lowers the patient's discomfort level, resulting in quicker recovery times.
Are There Any Side Effects of Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry has a variety of side effects, including nausea, dizziness, headaches, vomiting, fatigue, and memory loss (rare).
However, it's important to note that these side effects are uncommon and quickly resolved. Patients who undergo sedation dentistry are carefully monitored throughout the procedure to ensure their comfort and safety.
How Can You Prepare for a Sedation Dentistry Appointment?
Before your appointment, your dentist will give you guidance on how to prepare for the procedure. Generally, it is recommended that patients:
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Arrange for a ride home after the appointment
- Avoid consuming food and liquids for a few hours before the procedure
- Bring a friend or family member to your appointment, for added comfort and support
Sedation dentistry provides a comfortable and stress-free dental experience for those with dental anxiety. Contact your dentist for more information about sedation dentistry.